Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Orange Juice Cake

This recipe was given to me by a very dear friend, Ginny, 
who has since died. I think of her every time I make this 
cake and I'm still thankful for her friendship and love 
and miss her words of wisdom and encouragement.



Ingredients



Orange Juice Cake

3/4 cup orange juice
1 package (3 ounces) orange Jell-O powder
4 eggs
1 box yellow cake mix
2 Tbsp grated orange rind (optional)
¾ C vegetable 0il

GLAZE
2 cups Powdered sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange rind (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan . (This can also be made in a regualr 9x13 pan). In large mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup orange juice, Jell-o-and eggs for 2 minutes. Beat in cake mix,- grated orange rind and oil for 1 minute. Pour into pan. Bake for 45 minutes.


Isn't this batter a pretty color ?
When done immediately prick holes in top with fork Make rows 1/2 inch apart.




Mix powdered sugar, orange juice and rind, pour over top of hot cake.
This is the first time I used a squeeze bottle to put it on the cake.
I was surprised -it works so much better that spooning.

I wish I cut this so you could see the beautiful orange color this cake is

 I think this cake tastes better after it has set for 24 hrs - however, you can let it sit for a few hrs.

It's packed and ready to go! I will be freezing it til Thanksgiving



If you are looking for something different please try this cake - I have also made it lemon using lemon jello and lemonade  - even can use lime and limeade













16 comments:

  1. Hi Jo! I'm so sorry about your friend. How sweet to think of her when you make this lovely cake. Yours looks so good and sounds good. I'd love to make this.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! recipe. Sounds wonderful no matter what flavor. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I think I will make this for Thanksgiving too
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you the smart one! This reminds me of a cake my grandmother used to make. The squeeze bottle is a great idea--gotta pick one up! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! I love OJ! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sound delicious. Love the squeeze bottle hint. I love recipes that don't have a million ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister always made these with the jello. They called them refrigerator cakes I think.
    All I know is that they were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo, It is wonderful when you have something that you can remember your friend, sorry for your loss. The cake sounds so delicious. I'll be trying this one.
    Sharing this recipe is like sharing your memory of your friend.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great color batter. I make a similar recipe but using pudding but I think I will try our your recipe since I have not used regular jello in a cake yet and I love the taste of oranges and lemons. I like any recipe that I can make ahead and freeze especially during the holidays. This recipe is a must try for me. Thanks for sharing.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family would love this. I think it would even be good for a late breakfast "coffee cake" treat. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of using a squeeze bottle to apply the frosting. I will have to try that (after I buy a bottle). Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love citrus desserts and your cake sounds wonderful. I, too, have recipes that remind me of absent friends. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds very flavorful. It also looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!!! Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a fabulous cake and a great way to keep remembering a friend.

    Thanks for sharing with TATT.

    Oh, and I recently discovered the joy of squeeze bottles too. How did I live without them?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds delicious! Just found your recipe through Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete